Darker mornings, busier roads, and NFL football. All indications that Fall is almost here!
It also means that life has slowed down a bit for me. After this month, weekends will be less busy as summer/warm weather festivities will be over, and secretly, I’m kinda excited about it. Does anyone else feel like the summer months just fly by since there’s something going on every weekend??
This Fall, I’m excited to spend more time in the kitchen, more time at the gym, and more time on the blog.
We decided to briefly check out the Chinese Gardens in #yeg, before it really got cold. It was my first time there, believe it or not. I don’t think I appreciate Edmonton for what it’s worth… there’s more to explore in this growing city than I thought – I just wish I lived closer to the downtown core.
Kimono Statement Sleeves
Since we’re on the topic of Fall, we should talk about a trend that has already made its way into the next season. I’m talkin’ statement sleeves. They turn a shirt into something a bit out of the ordinary, adding character into an otherwise boring top. They were a big hit this summer, and will likely transition into the cooler Fall months. This neutral black top does just that.
It has kimono-inspired sleeves (how fitting is the Asian element?), and I can fit about 5x my arm width into one sleeve. I.e. its SUPER flared!
Back in Grade 7 of Junior High, this girl wore a shirt with exaggerated flared sleeves, and I wanted one sooo badly. I remember it so clearly! But back then, I wasn’t as daring as I am today. 10+ years later, who knew that very same trend would be back? Bigger sleeves, better patterns, and a bold statement.
And of course, I had to go with allblackeverything. Well, almost everything. Ever since it was spotted on Kendall Jenner, I’ve always wanted a double buckle belt. And of course, Zara pulls through!
Below are Fall statement sleeve picks that have really perked my interest. Perhaps I’ll fill my closet with some of these soon!
1. Sanctuary Tierney Tie Sleeve Sweatshirt: This sweatshirt gives off the ultimate casual comfort feel, yet the bows provide some femininity. The older I get, the more I appreciate a good sweatshirt, one to lounge around in, yet is not too “lounge-y” that I can’t wear it out. This one crosses everything off that list. The cinching from the bows create a subtle bell sleeve look.
2. Sweatshirt with Contrasting Sleeves: Another sweatshirt, this time from Zara. I’m actually in love with this sweater. It comes with “balloon” sleeves that are cuffed on the bottom, truly making a statement. Looking at this sweater just makes me want to wear it next to a fireplace with a big cup of hot choco 🙂
3. Cooperative Ruffled Cold-Shoulder Mini Dress: I actually have this dress (see IG post) and wore it to a wedding this past July. It’s cold shoulder and ruffle detail make for an interesting silhouette. It’s also made of a thicker material, so you can go ahead and wear it even when it’s cooler out.
4. ASOS Mac with Statement Sleeve: How about incorporating a bit of sleeve action into a jacket? Better yet, into a trench coat, something perfect for Fall. Again, the fastening on the bottom of each sleeve creates a subtle bell look.
5. EDIT Denim Jacket: Of course I’d end this round-up with denim, who would I be if I didn’t? This denim jacket is giving all the flared sleeve vibes. A denim jacket is already so versatile, so you can pair this with some basics, yet still look on-trend. I’m also in love with this one by Madewell.
Which transitional trend are you most excited about this Fall?
SHOP THE LOOK
Photos by Henry