MMM BREAKFAST. My favorite meal of the day!
I’m not sure if it’s my favourite because of the actual food, or because it’s the first meal of the day… I’m definitely not a morning person, but mornings are so much better with a freshly brewed coffee and a hearty plate of goodness that you cooked up yourself. Yeah I know, it’s even better when you have plans to go out for brunch, but come on, we’re all on a budget here!
These days I’ve been opting for the typical eggs and bacon or eggs and sausage combo, since it’s quick and easy. Henry’s been on an egg-whites-only breakfast diet lately, so sometimes I’ll settle for that too, if that’s what he’s cooking up. But as you can only imagine, it can get really, REALLY boring. So this past weekend, I figured why not turn it up a notch and bake up an easy egg frittata!
Eggs, veggies, and sausage—Italian sausage, might I add? What better breakfast combo is there? (don’t answer that, I’m a sucker for eggs bennys, too)
Compared to a lot of egg frittata recipes out there, this one should rank pretty high on the wellness scale, but if you really want to go healthy, you could exclude the sausage. But then we’d think you’re crazy.
I love this recipe because it’s still health conscious with a few cheats in moderation, and it tastes amazing. Nothing wrong with that, right?
It’s a huge twist on your classic eggs & sausage meal, and it’ll provide you with days worth of breakfast for those who are always on-the-go and crunched for time.
Healthy Egg Frittata
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 x 375 grams packaged Italian sausage (I went with the case-less ones as the grocery store was having a buy one get one free deal! If you go with the ones in casings, you typically get more—approx. 500 grams—for about the same price)
- 5 extra large eggs
- 1¼ cup egg whites
- 1 cup half and half cream
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ cup light cheddar cheese
- In a large sauce pan, cook Italian sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, breaking into small pieces. Pour into a colander to drain out the oil, and return to pan. (If using Italian sausage in casings, remove from & discard casings before cooking. A quick trick to avoid pouring oil down your drain is to cover a bowl with tin foil, place colander over top, and once finished draining, carefully discard tin foil full of oil into garbage)
- Add red pepper, zucchini, and onion. Stir fry over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Spray an 11 x 7 inch casserole dish with olive oil spray. Pour sausage mixture into casserole dish and top with cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture.
- Let stand for 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, and let stand before serving—it’ll be hawt!
Recipe inspired by The Looneyspoons Collection, Eggstrata Frittata. Substitutions include egg whites instead of a portion of the eggs, and half & half instead of light cream. Excluded the croutons to lower the carb content. Pretty much doubled the meat & veggies because… why not?
Hope you enjoy! 🙂